The classic combination of chocolate and peppermint make these Dark Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies the perfect treat for the holidays!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/4 cup black cocoa (sifted)*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- 1 bag Bright White Candy Melts or white chocolate (melted)
- crushed candy canes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars on med-high until light and fluffy (approx. 2-3mins). Reduce speed and add egg and peppermint extract. Beat until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Chill dough for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion dough onto baking sheet (I did 9 cookies per sheet).
- Bake for approximately 10 mins, or until the middle is set. Cookies will deflate and crinkle a bit upon cooling.
- Cool on pans for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dip in melted candy melts or white chocolate, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Allow to set.
Pictured along side Gingerbread Gooey Butter Cookies!
* If you don’t have black cocoa, you can substitute Dutch-processed or regular cocoa. The cookies won’t be as dark though.
Recipe Credit: liv for cake.