Serves: 30-35 quinoa balls
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (I use Franks)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
For the Quinoa Bites:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup cannellini beans, mashed
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the melted butter, olive oil, hot sauce and seasoned salt in a medium size bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside
- In another bowl combine the quinoa, mashed cannellini beans, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper and 4 tablespoons of the buffalo sauce. Mix well to moisten the ingredients and then form into 30-35 equal size balls (about 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of the quinoa mixture). Squeeze the formation together tightly with your hands, being careful.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add half the balls to skillet and cook until golden and crisp on all sides, about five minutes. Gently (very gently) toss about 10 balls at a time with the buffalo sauce or you can dip each ball in the sauce as well if you are afraid the balls will crumble.
I dipped a portion of the balls in the buffalo sauce BEFORE cooking them, and I dipped the other portion of balls in the sauce AFTER cooking them. They both turned out fabulous! The differences I noticed were – dipping them in the sauce BEFORE cooking made them less messy to pick up to eat but made a mess of the skillet, and the other difference was the ones I dipped in the sauce only AFTER cooking them had a bit more of a spicy flavor.
I added my quinoa bites to a salad! You can also make your own favorite salad and add these for a spicy touch. Or you can serve these alone as an appetizer for a crowd or even as a dinner side!
Recipe Credit: HALF BAKED harvest